Sunday, September 19, 2010

Why I heart ramen and Japan

I heart Ramen and Japan because... : )

Photo: Dan Beazley (personal collection)

All of life's worries are gone when you smell a freshly prepared bowl of Tonkotsu ramen.
As that first spoon full of creamy pork broth hits your belly like a big warm blanket all of your problems disappear. Slurp some noodles and you’ll understand why this is the meal of choice for a busy Japanese salaryman. Made from boiling the hell out of pork bones, the smell, while off putting the first time, can become quite addictive.

Photo: iteijeiro via flikr.com

From out of nowhere you catch a glimpse of Mount Fuji whilst traveling to Tokyo on the Shinkansen.
When you're speeding along at at around 250 km/h on the ultra efficient bullet train, towns, farms and cities whizz by. Then you see Fuji, she dominants the landscape and has an ethereal quality, no wonder it is one of Japan’s unofficial national symbols. I didn’t expect to see Fuji, her sheer presence brings me to tears. That trip was a highlight of my adventure and I didn’t have to leave the train.

Photo: mattb_tv via flikr.com

In Japan if you're too drunk to find accommodation you can take the guide book’s advice and crash in an internet cafe.
Wandering onto the streets of Osaka at 3 am in the morning with a full belly of ramen and a head swimming in beer, I decided to take some advice from the Lonely Planet and head for the nearest Japanese Internet Cafe. On my way I passed a guy handing out flyers for Media Popeye (Internet cafe). "Doko?" I asked in my best Japanese, and he quickly pointed to a door. I stumbled in and was promptly handed a key with a number attached, the assistant showed me to the elevator and pushed the button for the floor I needed. No language necessary. When I arrived on my non-smoking floor I was greeted with a scene that looked something like this.

Photo: kenny_lex via flikr

My language teacher inspired me and introduced me to ramen.
Mr Cotteril was a fun, energetic teacher who drew cartoons when he wrote on the blackboard. Through him I heard people communicate in another language for the first time, learnt how to fold a paper crane, was introduced to ramen and almost vomited when trying raw fish for the first time. He gave me my first taste of Japan.

1 comment:

  1. Haha that is sweet just crashing in an internet cafe! I might have to visit Japan some day! I can sleep and play counter strike after a big night on the beers... gold!

    ReplyDelete